Friday, 21 February 2014

The very Hungary Coeliac

Like all my other travel posts, such as Coeliac in the City and Dutch Dining, I make it my coeliac obligation to report back on the gluten free wonders, or woes, of the places I visit as I find blogs and reviews a massive part of my planning when I'm going away. 

As always, we did a lot of research before going so that we're reassured there's at least a few places we can rely on that are going to be able to accommodate, and so I can have some peace of mind that I'm going to be able to get a good gluten free meal! 

My boyfriend is completely amazing with understand how much of a sensitive coeliac I am, which really does take some of the pressure off me to have to find somewhere to eat in another country on my own. He'd made plans on our first night to be able to get a gluten free pizza delivered to the hotel we were staying at from a place called Etna that had lots of gluten free pizzas to choose from. The hotel staff were totally obliging in ordering our pizza for us as, our Hungarian wasn't quite up to scratch so having that treat was a really nice end to our day of travelling! 


As our pizza was was very well received from Etna, and they seemed to understand gluten free really well, we decided to get a taxi to their restaurant and try out another one of their Italian dishes. I don't ever get the chance to go out for Italian food at home so I jumped at this chance! The menu clearly stated that they always have gluten free pasta available and keep it separate, which was really reassuring (especially when you don't even know how to to say attempt to say 'cross contamination' in a foreign language!)


I opted for a classic ragu spaghetti, which was absolutely unreal. Like, one of the best classy spag bols I've ever had! I could've eaten it over and over again and still not had enough. If we had been in Budapest for longer, I would've definitely gone back and tried something else, or even just ordered this again! Etna didn't do any gluten free desserts, which was a bit of a blow for me and my sweet tooth, but it redeemed itself by having gluten free beer available; something I never ever see!


Another coeliac friendly place we visited was Krusovice which was a traditional Hungarian restaurant a bit off the beaten track, we had the address and jumped in a taxi which is what we did each night we went out to eat, the taxis aren't expensive and it's not worth getting lost! This was a really nice place, but we were the only people in the restaurant which made for quite odd atmosphere, but it was all still very enjoyable! They have the menu coded showing what's gluten free and what's also lactose free.


I went for the beef stew with gnocchi which, when I told Eve she dryly said "so you flew three hours for scouse." So, maybe I did, but this was extra decadent with a really rich sauce and melt in the mouth beef. I'd never tried gnocchi pre coeliac or post, so was looking forward to trying something new and I was so was happy I did!


This restaurant scored extra points for me as they had a few gluten free puddings to choose from. I had the raspberry and caramel pannacotta. I didn't realise these would be two separate puddings, but I can't say I was disappointed when they arrived! They we're so creamy and delicious and definitely cured my sweet craving.


On the last night, we went out to a place called Peta Negra which had a bit more atmosphere than the previous nights. We had to book for this restaurant as they were obviously very popular and we found out why! This is a Spanish tapas place that had a massive menu full of gluten free and lactose free food, I was in foodie heaven! I've never been out for tapas, I know, how sheltered am I? So I was massively excited and wanted one of everything!


We ordered lots of dishes to share, these three are the only ones that I took pictures of as we were too impatient to wait by the time the rest came! We had garlic mushrooms, beef meatballs in tomato sauce and chorizo in a red wine reduction. They were all so flavoursome and amazing! We also got a dish of salted red peppers, roasted vegetables with serrano ham and spicy chicken. I love this kind of food, little bits of everything to share and all completely gluten free - perfect!


If I wasn't already completely won over by the main courses I had a gluten free chocolate pudding to top it all off! This was the best chocolate mousse I've ever had. It's the kind of dessert you want everyone around you to experience with you because it's that good. And I have to admit, all of this gorgeous food was washed down by a mojito or three!


So, going out every night to a nice restaurants is perfect when you've got time to sit down after a busy day but when you're walking around exploring, you need to have gluten free goodies on the go! I didn't take any food with me (living on the edge) so when I saw 'glutenmentes' here there and everywhere I was so happy! They have a chain of shops over there called CBA, very different to the meaning over here, and they pretty much sell everything and there seemed to be one on every other street! They sold bread, crackers and sweet treats to satisfy any travelling coeliac! I would not recommend the bread, at all, but the crackers were good and with some ham on them they made a great gluten free dinner.


So that's an overview of everything I managed to put away in Budapest! As you can see, if you're a coeliac heading over there, eating out and on the go are nothing to worry about at all. Have you ever been? What did you think of the food?

Faye x

8 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy!

    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! I was really impressed :) xxx

      Delete
  2. It's so refreshing to know you can get good GF food abroad! Closer to home, my family went to a lovely italian restaurant in Bath called Carluccios. Dad had the gluten free spaghetti with clams, and said it was the best GF pasta he's ever eaten. So, if you're ever in town...!
    Rosie x
    Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Such a relief for me when I'm travelling :). Ahh wow that sounds lovely - it's great that so many more places are catering to it now! xxx

      Delete
  3. The mousse and those cakes look delicious! I'm so glad you managed to find lots of tasty gluten-free treats. :)

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so delicious Tara! Me too :) I did rather well! xxx

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your blog! Your photo's always look great, what camera do you use?
    Beth x

    www.TheBritishGirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethan! That's so lovely of you to say - I have a Nikon D3000 but just use a standard kit lens :) xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on our blog - it really means a lot to us!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...