Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Make do and upcycle: The DIY dressing table

I've been a little bit quiet on the blog recently, as I've started a new job and have been working every hour they can give me to at least try and get myself out of my student overdraft (distant dream). But I have left myself some time for a few of the important things in life, in this case, DIY. 

I love getting little projects on the go around the house with the help of my wonderful and creative Mum. She's bestowed upon me and Eve her love for home decor and doing things yourself! Or at least having a go...

Since moving back home from uni and realising just how much clutter I own, I decided I needed more furniture in my bedroom to be able to hide things away in draws. So with this in mind, I went to my local British heart foundation where I picked up this chest of draws for just £10! All the draws were in good condition and there was no damage to them other than superficial, so I couldn't believe my luck! 



I started off by sanding the whole piece of furniture down, every inch needed to be smoothed and the old battered gloss stripped away. This took a lot of elbow grease and very dusty surroundings, but by the end it was all fresh and ready to be painted! 


You can see what a difference just sanding it down made, so don't be put off a piece of second hand furniture just because it looks a bit tatty - as long as the structure itself is in good nick, don't miss out on a bargain for bad looks!


As I wanted to paint it a pastel green colour, I did a base coat of white just so I wouldn't have to do as many layers of the colour! I chose this Dulux wall paint in Willow Tree for the top colour which I just love! It took about three coats to completely cover the wood and the whole process took me two days in total.


As well as my new chest of draws, I upcycled an old bedside table I already had with the same method and colour to create a cute little set. They don't match exactly, but I kind of think that adds to the shabby chic style that my bedroom is! With a vintage stool that my mum already had lying around (of course) and a matching green jewellery box, I just adore my newly loved pre owned furniture! 


So what do you think of mu DIY dressing table? Have you upcycled any of your furniture recently?

Faye x 

16 comments:

  1. It looks great! My dressing table is upcycled too with a similar style but it has a white wash on it instead :)
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I bet that looks lovely :) x

      Delete
  2. Wow, amazing transformation, it looks lovely! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie - I'm so pleased with it! x

      Delete
  3. Arrr this looks fabulous, u should be proud :)

    Emilyldn.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I am quite proud of it if I say so myself :) x

      Delete
  4. What a BEAUTIFUL colour. And looks like you've done such a lovely smooth paint job too. Unlike me who just slaps it on and hopes for the best haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! Haha, I think that's sometimes the best way, but this did take a few coats! x

      Delete
  5. These look so good, lovely little set! I really need to make the time to sort out some of the things I've collected over the years, they're piling up!

    Clare from Tweet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare! It's so worth doing if you get chance, I can't wait to do some more! x

      Delete
  6. Oh this so lovely! I'm also really impressed that you did this yourself, they look very professional!

    Lagerfeld Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks amazing! always find myself in situations where I have nowhere to put my stuff but never think to DIY something old to make it pretty!

    reen
    xo


    www.oceans-burning.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reen! Exactly - some fun DIY and room for more clothes! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on our blog - it really means a lot to us!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...